Idli is the popular dish in south india. You prefer making idli dosa batter at home. Even at times of busy schedule you would rather choose upma, chapathi etc to idli, dosas using store bought batter. I love idlis best with coconut chutney.Check out coconut chutney which is my fav. Sambar is the best combo! Hotel idli ratio is different from homemade ones.
Idli, Dosa Recipe - Ingredients
Idli rice - 3 cups (700 gms)
Whole urad dal (no skin variety) - 1/2 cup (110 gms)
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
Water - as needed
Salt - to taste
1. Measure each ingredient as per the above measurement and keep seperately. Soak rice, urad dal with fenugreek seeds in water each seperately for atleast 2 to 3 hours.
2. Then drain water from urad dhal+fenugreek seeds and add it to the grinder. Sprinkle water then and there and grind it. Its always better to stand near atleast during the final stage of till the proper consistency is reached. Keep sprinkling water in between at regular intervals. The batter should be light and nice fluffy.
3. Collect the urad dhal batter in a container hold the. Now drain water from rice and add it to the grinder, sprinkle little water and start grinding.Grind it for 30mins on the whole, keep adding water in between. Grind it smoothly with a slight coarse texture. The rice batter should be slightly thicker than urad dhal batter
4. Now mix the rice batter and urad dhal batter, add salt and mix well. Keep aside in a warm place to ferment well for atleast 8 - 10 hours. you can see the fermented batter with a porous look. If you see the batter would have raised well and now your idli dosa batter is ready to use.
5. Take a laddle full and add it to the idly pan and steam it for 10-12mins. Sprinkle little water and carefully slide around the edges to take the idlis
Hot soft idlis ready to be served.